5/30/2023

Rainy season setting in

It's getting muggy. The weather forecast says it's already in the rainy season here. The crisp atmosphere has gone away. Too quick. I miss it.

I have been busy harvesting onions like this. Another batch would follow soon. They are either small or big, rather mostly small. They have grown with minimum amount of fertilizer and could be storaged long possibly for several months. They will be hung under the eaves to get dried.


I have also harvested dozens of potatoes. Even more are ready to be harvested when it is fine. A dozen or a bit more of garlics are brought under the eaves as well. 

Broccolis are budding like this. Some worms are eating their leaves but not a big trouble. The buds may grow big and will be one of materials for salad very soon.


On behalf of spinach, garland chrysanthemum is richly growing and cooked with spicy dressings. 

My wife has been to her home in Shikoku and has seen her mother. She has been bedridden with dementia and often sleeps long. At age 98 years, anything could happen to her any time, I am afraid. I should have gone to see her with my wife. But inevitable duties have prevented me from doing that. My wife has found her in a stable condition, even in weakness, at a nursing home. She came home uneventfully last night. 

I have been reading a book regarding the human rights written by a researcher studying in UK. Our country has accepted very small number of refugees from foreign countries in the past. At an immigration office, a Srilankan lady, deemed as an illegal stay and interned for a long time. Eventually, she has died without appropriate medical care there 2 years ago. Despite of such an event, our government has sent in a bill of "reformed" immigration law. It is against making the immigration process more transparent in order to keep the human rights of foreigners and of refugee asylum seekers. 

The book tells me our country is behind the international standards for the human rights, either for foreigners or for compatriots. The governments won't hesitate to say the international human rights treaty has no legal force. Unfortunately, the enforcement of the treaty is quite questionable here. In addition, a group of ultra right faction insists that the immigration should be even more strict for those seeking the chance of refugee in our country. They never question on the immigration system and power. We should be more conscious of such a problem because disrespect of the human rights for those people could come on us in sometime together with fascism.


So that's how I am spending this a bit unpleasant days in the rainy season. While it gets fine rarely, I would work hard in the farm. It is still a fan for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment