5/15/2023

An old man's story on health

 Getting through the healthy life expectancy of age 73 years, I still have had a few health issues, even though they are not serious at all. I didn't like to listen to what aged people talked about their own health issues related with aging anywhere. But, for myself, I am tempted to write about it here. What an irony of aging!


The other day, as usual, I got out of bed at 3 AM. Too early to have breakfast. I have prepared a cup of coffee without milk. Having had it for half an hour, I felt very bad stomachache and nausea. I wondered what had happened to me. Abdominal emergency? It is one of the main causes which bring sick people to ER. I returned to bed. After dozing off for an hour or two, I found myself almost free from the symptoms. I concluded it was the coffee that caused it. A functional gastric dysfunction. I have never had such a bad condition from coffee even though I have sometimes had discomfort of mild peptic ulcer in the past. The symptoms were much worse than that and sure reminded me of something emergent. I should be careful not to take strong coffee especially in hunger. It is only a trifle but reminds me of my present age.


The other thing was improvement of backache early in the morning after exchanging the mattress of bed. I used to have mild but steady bachache on bed when getting up. I thought it had been a sequel of the intervertebral disc herniation on lower back which I had episodes of for several times since young days. Now that the disc might be old enough to be stiffened and not causing the herniation, I have not had that episode for a decade or so any longer. It could have been the cause of that dull pain on lower back early in the morning. But it has gone when I started sleeping on a new mattress with harder elasticity. The last one was almost 30 years old and has become too soft to keep my back straight when asleep on it. There could be various causes of such back pain. I won't generalize this finding to every case at all. But if you feel that dull pain on back early in the morning or after long sleep on a "soft" mattress, it is worth trying to exchange it to a harder one.


That's all. I would promise not to repeat old man's remarks on health any longer.

2 comments:

  1. It has been said that frequent exposure to Morse Code is a cure for the effects of aging. That would explain why so many CW operators are old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don,

      First of all, very sorry I haven't regularly checked any comments including this yours.

      I would agree with you but, honestly speaking, the logic seems to be a kind of up side down. Mostly old people are operating CW remembering good old days when they spent on that mode. Rememrance of fond memories might be a cure for them.

      It is not, however, an essential part of the problem. They are feeling cured when operating this old mode. That is good.

      Delete