6/16/2021

Good conditions and a bit of memory back in '90s

 An hour after sunrise yesterday morning, I happened to switch on the radio. Honestly, I scarcely do that nowadays. My garden farm always calls me at that time. Twenty meters was open to both NA and Eu. Calling CQ, I was called by Harry W1AAX. Smooth bug keying. My PC log has not listed him. But I still remembered we had had a lot of QSOs in the last solar cycle or one before that. He told me it had been 12 years since our last QSO.

It was a great fun to talk to him after such a long interval. He sounded to get along well despite of the Corona crisis. He was already fully vaccinated and was resuming normal routine like prior to the pandemic. I told him I had confused him with Roger W1AX, I believe, already in SK. 

After that QSO, I was wondering it was Harry or Roger who came to see me at W1EYT, presently K1YT at my visit there. It was 1992. I was invited by Bill to visit him and make a slide show on the trip to Cambodia. Yes, it was the hectic and ardent days of DXing, which is a good memory but I "would never" do again. There were abouot two dozens of DXers from Mass., CT or somewhere else attending the meeting then. I can't remember what I have talked before them. I have never had such an experience of presentation in English in the past and was terribly nervous at it. 

There were a lot of friends who went SK by now. Such as K1MEM, K5MA and so forth. On asking Bill by e mail which was attending there, Roger or Harry, he was quite sure it had been Roger. Bill told me he would ask about that to Don WB2DND, presently N1DG, who was there also. 

In the reply, Bill has attached a couple of photos in the mail. One of them showed me listening at his station and having a QSO or two as a guest operator. 


I was a bit older than 40 years of age at this time. Still young. No grey hair noted on the photo.

Bill and his family have been very kind to me. They are still living in a suburb of Boston, a beautiful residential area, like a park. We have been good friends ever since then. I always feel thankful to him.

In the next QSO with Harry, I should ask about the old gang we know. 
Years have passed.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment