4/28/2024

Mother's 13th anniversary

Working hard in the garden/farm, I realized it was my mother's 13th anniversary today. I knew of this important anniversary for me in the end of this month. Honestly, I was almost getting it through. However, the longer it got since her passing, the oftener I recall of her in daily life.

Mother met father at a small sanatorium for poor tuberculosis patients during WW2, which our aunt managed at this same place as we live right now. Father was sent to the war in China. In the end of the war, they have married and were given 3 children including myself. This photo of my parents with my sister shows what porverty they lived in those days. They still look peaceful and possibly hopeful for the life ahead despite of the poverty. 


Soon, tuberculosis could be treated with antibiotics and such a small sanatorium has lost its meaning in the society. Our aunt has decided to close it down. My parents have decided to go to Tokyo for new life. I have reiterated this same story in this blog.

My mother used to work at a Salvation Army hospital in a suburb of Tokyo. She went for work early in the morning and came back home to care for us and give us simple breakfast for a while. Then she went back to the hospital on a bicycle. What a hard work it was for her. She was still always cheerful and tender to all of us.

It must be a challenge for my parents to raise the family in Tokyo. It could be called as an ordeal for them. But always with much hope for the future. 

Reaching the old age myself, we are another difficulty in life, individual and social at the same time. I feel we could hardly be so optimistic for the future, different from ths situation my parents used to face to at the time of exodus to Tokyo. My mother might tell me not to worry so much and to do what I need to do. With her gentle smile.

In 5 days, my brother and his wife will come to see us from Iwate. I will prepare my special curry and rice for them. We may talk of good old memories of my parents and of the lives in childhood in Tokyo over glasses of beer.   

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy your mother and his wife, remember your parents as you eat your special curry and rice!

    ReplyDelete