4/02/2024

Matthew's Passion played by Ozawa with SKO possibly in memory of Takemitsu

It was the Easter in the last week end. It is the time when we listen to Matthew's Passion by Bach. 


Talking of that great music, I can't forget of Toru Takemitsu who has loved it so much throughout his life. I have mentioned about it a few times in this blog as follows for example.


https://nuttycellist-unknown.blogspot.com/2017/03/takemitsu-tarkovsky-and-matthews-passion.html


In relation with him, I also recall of Seiji Ozawa who has recently passed away. In the article which I wrote about him, I quoted the performance of the Passion by him conducting Saito Kinen Orchestra in 1997. I realized it was a year later since Takemitsu's death. I know Ozawa has known how important that music was for Takemitsu and speculated Ozawa had played it in memory of Takemitsu. 


Given that Ozawa has chosen it for that purpose, this rendition sounds even more poignant to us. It is marvellous that we are captured with catharsis of peace and serenity beyond the tragedy when we reach the end chorus. It's beyond our logic or imagination.  

 









2 comments:

  1. Hello Shin
    thank you for bringing this beautiful performance to our attention.
    Regards
    Mark VK2XMB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Mark. The music itself but also its relationship with those great composer/conductor are really remarkable to me. I am glad you share the same feeling on it.

      Delete