12/04/2023

Frosty garden farm

Early this morning, I went out to pick up lettuce in the small garden farm for fresh salad. Stepping on the frosty ground toward there, I had an unpleasant expectation. So it was what I expected.  



Poor lettuce was almost frozen. Especially the outer leaves were covered with frost without exception. I did not know it had been so frosty around that time in a day. I have given it up. Later, in the day time when sun was warmly shining, these lettuce has revived and was served for a material of salad for dinner.

I knew lettuce was pretty strong against this cold weather. There could be other kinds of vegetables which are prone to be damaged. I would cover them with dome of non woven fabric.  

I have almost finished planting several dozens of onion seedlings in another farms. Some of them are too small. I have used vinyl mulch for them. Grass mulching was also applied to some of them. So far, they are surviving this cold weather. 

No wonder it could be this cold because the winter solstice is ready to come in 3 weeks. Everything including human beings should hibernate for 2 or 3 months.


It is the time for me to devote myself to reading and listening to music. For the past several years, I have been sending a greeting mail to friends in this season of a year. Wondering if I should carry it on or not. Downsizing my own life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment