8/04/2023

Pork with egg plant Ein Deutsches Requiem

Egg plants are finally growing ripe. Six fruits were harvested and cooked with pork, green pepper and potato. Seasoned with miso and so forth. Egg plant goes well with miso. My mother used to cook it with miso even though not quite the same recipe as this one. 


Tomatoes are also ripened one after another. It is impossible for us to have all of them for our meal. We are giving some of them to friends of ours. Sweet potatoes' and okra plants are growing well at a few farm ridges. It will be the time for me to prepare to grow seedling of fall/winter vegetables very soon. I would fertilize the farm ground with small amount of rice bran for fall potatoes very soon. I would try leafy vegetables again. It is not very difficult to grow fall/winter vegetables because of less activities of insects by Oct.

Since I have lost a few good friends in a short time recently, I am inclined to be captured with a vague sense of impermanence. Everything, especially lives, are easily evanesce no matter how much we may love them. Everything is like grass withering soon. This attitude toward life should be quite common in our age. I won't regret or mourn for that. Just a bit of sorrow but accepting it as it is. 

Brahms has composed his only requiem, "Ein Deutsces Requiem", when he lost Robert Schumann and his mother. It is a music to comfort our loss in the world. The words quoted from the Gospel of Matthews in the beginning typically express that object of this music. 


Even though it was not intended to be performed as a ritual music, I just wonder why Brahms has avoided the story of crucification and ressurection of Jesus in this requiem. I believe it is the core idea in Christianity. They say he has intentionally keep away from it when composing this piece.

Anyway, the phrase in the beginning helps us to be free from sorrow and anxiety;

"Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted"

 At my age, I feel I could understand more what this message tells us. 



No comments:

Post a Comment