8/20/2023

A few old photos Sorting out old things

I am sorting out old mails/QSLs and discarding some of them. Most of the QSLs may be destined to be thrown into trashbox some time. They are meaningless to the others including my family membersw. Some of mine for rare DX have not been mailed and stored in a box. They would be discarded as well.

There are precious photos and letters found in that box. One of the photos is Steve WA6IVN and his family. When I came back on the radio in 1980, I ran across with Steve. We have met since '60s when we were crazy for DXing. I have known his father, Ray, WA6IVM, pretty well. From left to right, Karen;Steve's wife, Bob, Steve's 2nd son, Karen;Steve's mother and Steve himself. 

He seemed to rush his life then. It won't take me too long to know he had suffered from lymphoma since his young days. He has married twice and had 2 sons with his 2nd wife, Karen. In addition to ham radio, they have enjoyed a lot of outdoor life, especially, boating. 

In my first visit to the US early in '80s, I drove up to Manteca to see him and stayed at his home for a week end. It was a quiet suburb town. They had a modest size of lot with a big tower elected. TH6DX and a vertical for 40m were on the top. The radio was TS930 driving a Heath Kit amplifier. I was impressed at the paddle with very light and crisp touch. I can't recall its model name. I have never seen it before. That luxurious paddle has taught me ham radio started in the US and had a long history over there. They have brought me for sailing on a river nearby. 

As wrote elsewhere in this blog, he and his wife have come to see me at W6CYX in San Jose in 1984. Steve has sadly passed not too long since that meeting. So have his parents in several years.   

Memories including that of Steve those days, young days with enthusiasm in ham radio, have been depicted here.




The other photos are from Ron K5XK back in 1994. We have known each other since '80s. We had a mutual good friend, Stan, K5AS. We have talked about him a lot. Stan has cared for his wife with Alzheimer for years. Having lost her, he has suffered from diabetes, which forced him to undergo amputation of both legs. Even after he was confined to a mobile chair, he was quite active and has gone to a university to learn anthropology etc. We both were inspired by that great person. Stan has passed in 2010 if I remember it right, though. I have not met Ron too often for the last 20 years. But I knew he had been active at the local club as well as FOC. One of his sons have become an urologist and used to stay in Germany, I remember. Ron was very proud of him. We are still exchanging a word or two in facebook in a year. On the photo, he calls me as Sin, which I used to use for the handle until the late '80s. So it means Ron has been an old friend of mine.


Well, I am getting things arranged and sorted to discard. It is to prepare for the end of life even though I won't quit the world so soon yet. While losing good friends of mine for the past year or two, I could not help feeling I should do that for the family who should dispose of them. Until then, I would keep those important letters/photos in album etc. 

The next task is to find out someone who would take over the scores and parts of chamber music. I have collected almost all of the major kinds of scores, which I would make sound sometime. They have not been realized yet and won't be realized. Too sad if they would be disposed and burned. Even though the scores should be replaced to electrical ones very soon. The instrument? It might be owned by certain cellist for sure.    

2 comments:

  1. Shin. Your task of eliminating papers and old photos is very similar to a process I am going through here as well. My father passed away recently (he was 95) and I am having to dispose of his things along with his house of 60 years. I have found a great many pictures, many of people I don't know. I have made the hard decision to discard these as they have little value to me and even less value to my children who will one day soon have to go through the same process for me. I feel bad discarding what my father thought was worth keeping, but this seems a losing battle and I only hope he would understand. I want to make it much easier for my children when the time comes. Good luck and thanks for writing.

    73 Jeff KE9V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff, thanks for your good comment. I fully understand what and how you are feeling to get things of your father sorted out. I have experienced the same thing for the past years. Both my parents have left pretty few things at the house in the same property. But I found a lot of diaries, letters and books there. I was sorry to discard most of them, espceially of private things. I have read a few diaries my father had kept throughout his life. It was as if I entered his inner world by myself, a bit interesting but not very happy. Through those diaries, I have known more about him. But everything will be forgotten soon. Regretfully, I discarded them. I may go through the same process in life for myself and should prepare for that.
      Life is a journey which is destined to end sometime. I am repeating that phrase in my mind from time to time.
      I am glad you are still visiting this blog in a great mannerism! Take care.
      Shin

      Delete