12/08/2022

In early winter

It seems everything has been in hibernation in the garden/farm. It is really early winter now. It gets frosty early in the morning here. 

Spinach is an exception. Though slowly, they are still growing. Some of them grown earlier have been used a material for miso soup. 


Knowing that onion is the vegetable growing in winter, I am still amazed at its growth. I have given a bit of grass mulching to them. It may help them to survive in the cold snap which comes on them frequently in the coming months. In early spring, they will bear big fruits at the base.


Three trees at the northern side of our house. Two camellias and one unknown decidupis tree. Camellia are in full bloom. 


The unknown deciduous tree has colored leaves in beautiful gradation. Whenever I see such fallen leaves, an episode comes on in my mind. When our Empress Michiko has turned 86 years of age and could not play piano any longer, which she had loved so much, she told that everything we could do is a gift from heaven, every loss of our abilities is to return it to heaven. It is a right attitude toward aging, I believe. we should never be upset or saddened to have lost our abilities but accept it as a consequence of aging. What a profound idea! In addition, fallen leaves will become nutrition to the following lives.


Camellia flowers. They are joy in this season when the other flowers finished their lives. 


A camellia flower in close up. I could not help admiring its beauty.


I would devote myself to reading books and listening to music. Not bored at all. In 3 months, the garden/farm will revive and may keep me so busy.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment