1/10/2021

Gardening getting ready for spring

It has been 10 days since the New Year's Day. Time is elapsing in the same way. Even in the mid winter, when the temperature drops even to minus 10 degrees, it is getting brighter in the daytime. I am trying to be busy at garden while sun is shining. 

I have pulled the weeds in the lawn facing to the street today. I wondered if I should spray the herbicidal a bit later when they started growing again. At least, I would have it look neat until then and have done the job. The lawn has totally withered but the root is still alive below the weeds. Getting off them may help the lawn grow later in the spring. There were some people taking walk along this street, who always greeted me saying hello when they went by. 

            

The trees of enkianthus perulatus, a kind of azalea,  along the lawn have leaves fallen. But the new buds are ready to grow. They may bring fresh leaves and pretty flowers in spring.

My wife, in a long week end, is feeding fertilizer to her roses. This rose is named "Knock Out" pretty sturdy in cold weather. She also transplanted a pot grown rose. She is responsible for flowers while I am for vegetables. 

Silk pods seedlings grown from seeds are as if they were in winter sleep. Under the cold protection cover sheet, they are surely alive and are ready to grow in the spring. They look lovely, don't they? I have never felt plants in that way when I was young. But these days, they look like own children.


I am getting ready for the small farm to plant vegetables in the spring. Mixing home brew leaf mold, I am plowing the soil with the deep layer reversed on the surface. It is to avoid continuous cropping disorder for such as tomato or potato.


This is where I make the leaf mold. At the south eastern corner of the yard, I accumulate fallen leaves and pulled weeds. The right half is the old one while the light half is the fresh one. The fresh one will turn to be fermented and turn to be leaf mold in a year or two. 


 So everything is going on in the same way while we are getting older year by year. Nature won't be changed easily but we are changing ourselves pretty quickly. That is why we should treasure every moment of our lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment