9/09/2020

Jean Guihen Queryas plays Unaccompanied Cello Suite Nr3

The unaccompanied cello suites by J.S.Bach has been deemed as the old testament in cello music. Technically, they are not so difficult to play just after the score as modern or romantic pieces for this instrument. The content is, however, profound and is like a mountain towering never conquered by climbers.

In its Prelude, I feel hearing the creation of the universe. Modern quantum theory tells there was a time when certain harmony was present immediately after the big bang of the universe creation process. Of course, it was not this suite itself which rang in the primitive universe. Something musical was present in the universe when it was born. This fact makes me touched a lot. And the spirit might be comparable to what we are impressed with this music.

Queryas is one of the best contemporary cellists. He plays this piece as if telling a story of creation. His concentration on the music is incredibly deep. There must be an effect of the reverberation in this recording. Together with it, his cello sings the song of creation with various nuances. Whenever I listen to his performance, I am lead to the world of creation. It is, in other words, a description of our inner world as well. Very fine texture and deep emotion. 

Anner Bylsma, another great cellist recently passed away, used to tell we should play the unaccompanied suites as if telling stories. Queryas is a cellist who has realized his saying. 


A long way to go for me to learn this piece.


This week end, I will have a chance to practice the cello sonata in e minor of Brahms with my niece at my sister's home. And a piece for soprano, cello and piano for a poem by Jukichi Yagi composed by a senior friend of mine in the medical school days. He has given that piece to me. It has been almost 20 years since I played it at a concert before the composer. I wish to play it again for him and other orchestra friends someday.


No comments:

Post a Comment