11/16/2019

A driving trip to a valley in the mountain area

Eight days ago, it was fine around the noon. No clouds so far as I could see here. Cool and crisp. I remembered I would like to see autumn leaves somewhere in the mountain area. It won't take me too long to decide to visit the Shiobara Valley north of here. Years ago, I have enjoyed literally burning colors of leaves over there in this season.

It took me a couple of hours to drive there. For a plain week day, it was a bit crowded on the road to the valley. I am sure they were coming there to do the same thing as I would.


Being late in the afternoon, it was not very crowded at the secluded area in the valley. The leaves are changing colors but only imperfectly.



A maple tree has turned red on a steep slope in a mountain.


There was a small creek dried at that time. I was going to turn to south at a place in the valley, which should bring me back home earlier. But a sign told the road was closed due to construction, possibly, for restoration from the damage dut to torrential rain a few weeks ago. I did not want to be involved in the traffic jam on the opposite side of the way and went ahead deeper in the valley. 

On the high land, there were a few hot spa inns on the way south to my home. I used to bring Jim VK9NS that way and took him to a public bath. He didn't hate bathing there even though I don't know if he was accoustomed with that habit. It was almost 30 years ago after a small DX convention was held at a city nearby. Most of those DXers attending to it have become inactive or even silent key for now. It has been years since Jim died and his net on 14222KHz was put an end. 


This is an artificial lake named Ikariko north of Kinugawa spa and Nikko. It was the road a friend of mine, Mamoru Nakajima, JH1HDX, who passed away just 10 years ago, used to drive to Tohoku area for business trips. As a young service engineer, what has he thought driving this way those days? A quiet place.


It was a bit lower in altitude there. The leaves have not turned colorful so much yet.


It was quickly getting dark. And I hastened myself back home. On the way back home, I went through a part of Nikko, where I used to visit to see friends and on business. In a year or two since I started residency, I was told to go to a medical center there to work for emergency in the week end, for 24 hours from Sunday morning. What could I do for emergent patients those days? I could not help feeling ashamed remembering what I did there. Early in Monday morning, after purchasing some breads at a store of the hotel there, I went back to the resident house where my wife and elder son were waiting for me. The road was frozen and it was like skating on a car without chain on the tires. How have I dared to work there at that time? I was sure young.  

Recalling those days, I headed back home. On the way, I made shopping at a store for dinner.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking me on your trip to the mountains and through your memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment, Susan. I have met Richard the other day after a long interval. See both of you again soon.

      Delete
  2. I am thinking you may need a bigger car to be able to get all of us into the vehicle for the tours of your beautiful country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for that very lyrical account of a drive in the countryside, surely one of life's simple and enduring pleasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John. My frustration as a house husband lead me out for driving. another article will be coming soon. Your kind comment is always appreciated.

      Delete
  4. Bigger car may not work. Maybe need a bus......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before reading this comment, I have written the same thing! I should get a driver licence for big cars like bus.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful memories, and really nice photos.it's difficult to do such nice blogging. Congrats, Shin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim. Such comment as yours encourages me to carry it on. Have an exciting and hectic week end there!

      Delete