3/27/2024

Time for farming

Canola plants and related ones are blooming and bearing seeds this season. It often rains a long time. It is called canola plant rainy season. It was typically such a day today. It has been quietly raining. In some interval without rain, I have planted taros at a place near a persimmon tree, where the soil may remain wet all year around suitable for taro growth.

Cold and warm weather alternate in certain span, probably 3 or 4 days, in this season in a year. Cycles of cold and warm weather may lead to real spring very soon. It is the time for farmers to get ready for seeding spring/summer vegetables. I would do farming in the natural farming style, that is, no fertilizer, no pesticide and no cultivating. Compost made from weeds in the area may suffice to grow vegetables. It is amazing no cultivating may facilitate nitrogen fixation by the locally habitant bacilli in the soil. But the important prrequisite for the natural farming is the presence of rich soil produced with natural compost of weeds for years. I may use organic fertilizer as little as possible.

My wife used to ask farmer patients what they do with the vegetables or the crops when she worked at her own practice. It always helped her to understand how they were living. Farming is a work doing with living things, needless to say. Unreality, impractical things or even lies could never be present in farming. It's like raising kids. It may be the reason why I am indulged in it. May my health enable me go on enjoying it for some more years. 

Magnolia is fully out right now. As reiterated in the past, my mother used to love it most. Having big smile on her face, she often came to tell me it had fully come out.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment