3/04/2024

C moll violin sonata of Bach played by Barchet and Veyron Lacroix

A recent night cap music is c moll violin sonata of Bach played by Barchet, violin, and Veyron Lacroix, cembalo. I have owned this CD for a long time but it is only recently when I knew how enchanting this piece was. Listening to it many times recently, I found it was really poignantly beautiful. 



 This rendition must be classified as romantic. Rather slow with much vibrato. Deeply emotional. The 1st movement of siciliano is particularly moving. 


How Bach has been accepted in contemporary/modern era is told to start from romaticism before WWI, then through "Neue Sachlichkeit" between two WWs, to modern authentism. This rendition was made possibly in 50s. It may reflect Barchet's characteristics in performance. Still romantic. I could not imagine the other ways than this romantic performance for this siciliano. It is a matter of acceptance of this music for me.


Now, I am going to bed listening to this piece by Barchet again.    

No comments:

Post a Comment