2/09/2024

Seiji Ozawa has passed away

 A renowned dirigent, Seiji Ozawa, has died at age 88 years today. He has suffered from a cancer for years and this has been expected. But still a sad news.


When I was interested in music in my teenage days, a vinyl of Symphonie Fantastique by Berlioz was the very first one I bought by myself. It was performed by Toronto Symphony Orchestra with dirigent of Ozawa. Here. With home made amplifier and speakers, I have not been bored with listening it again and again. I still remember how it started with dreaming melody. It has lead me not only to the classical music but also to adolescence. 


Ever since, he has always been in the scenes of classical music, even though I have not attended to any concert he conducted. When I grew up, he was already world famous conductor and there was very little chance for me to listen to him at a hall. I have seen him through CD, TV programs, internet programs or books. The book of his dialogue with Toru Takemitsu, which I mentioned before, was a remarkable work. He has been energitic and willing to teach young musicians.


I could never forget his involvement with Saito Kinen Orchestra. It was organized by him and other disciples of Hideo Saito and has held a music festival in Shinshu every summer. A lot of musicians have been joining this event from all over the world. One of my friends in university orchestra days has been a practice pianist there. I would attend a concert of Saito Kinen Orchestra some day but it won't come true, at least,  while Ozawa was alive and taking tact on the podium. 


This performance of Matthews Passion by Saito Kinen Orchestra in 1997. One of the most memorable performances by Ozawa. Serious, grave but still light stepped.  



 

3 comments:

  1. I had a wonderful vinyl double album of Ozawa and the Toronto playing Messiaen's Turangalila symphony and Takemitsu's November Steps. I saved my pocket money for weeks to buy that, aged 13 or so. He was a great conductor who raised that orchestra to new heights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. John,

      We have spent the same teenage days with interests in music. Even though I was a bit older. I got hip pain yesterday due to hard work in the garden and have spent whole day listening to the Matthews by SKO and Ozawa reading a book regarding that music. A nice day off from work in the garden. Stay well and vivid!

      Shin

      Delete