10/10/2023

Summer camp of the orchestra and Brahms Nr3 symphony


In the end of every August, we have been to Shinshyu in the mountain area in Nagano for the training camp for the university orchestra. Always at the very same place. I have written about this a few times already. One of the unforgettable places for me. 


I would drive there once again in August or at least in September this year, when cool breeze flows down from the mountains around there. I am not confident at driving such a long way any longer and also have been too busy to leave my farms. I have given it up.


I know I have posted these photos in the past. Still so precious for me enough to repost them. They have been taken 10 years ago when I drove up there by myself.

 

A lake near to the camp place. 

 


A road from the lake above to the camping site. Used to walk for an hour or so after swimming the lake with friends.


The camping site. A kind of small inn. It was touching to see it still run the business a few years back. Back to the cedar trees on the left, there was the rehearsal room.  


Joining the camp for the first time, I was only a beginner who had started cello only for a year or less. The senior members were practising the 3rd symphony by Brahms. Practising cello for myself out of the hall, I could hear them playing that symphony. I have never been on the stage with that piece. All the more, this music has become unforgettable for me. Whenever I listen to the famous theme of the 3rd movement celli start playing, Ⅰ could not feel more nostalgic for the camp as well as the music itself. 

Maybe, I have written about it before but believe the rhythm of syncopation interspersed at various parts of this symphony like the very beginning of the 1st movement makes it sound very vigorous and vivid. Putting the nostalgic movement beforehand, the 4th movement expodes with liveliness. In the end, however, all the activity and enthusiasm are settled down and faded away quietly. 

That is consistent with the idea of late summer or rather with our self-recognition just before or in the early elderly age. After composing this, Brahms ran into the music of reconcilliation with life in his 4th symphony. Understanding this symphony in this way, I find it even more precious in my life.


I have missed driving up there. But everything has gone away. Nothing stays the same, even if something looks the same in outlook, as I used to be there almost half a century ago. I have ever played all of his symphonies but not this one. Just enjoy listening to it.





No comments:

Post a Comment