7/12/2023

The limbic system and learning the Morse Code

 There has been a never ending discussion as for how to remember Morse Code and how to use them. In recent years, most of the beginners are starting learning them by computer soft ware. I have never tried that by myself since I grew up in the age when computer was not available. 


In my case, mechanically remembered of the codes, I just listened to the ham bands with simple receiver even not equipped with BFO. In the low teen age days. At first, I could barely copy a character even though I knew there were Morse Code coomunications. It was frustrating me that I could not read them. Different from the soft ware learning, it was not possible for me to check the answer later. In a few days, I could read a character or two with them. Completing receiving certain call signs was a real joy. I was greatly impressed when I could read a signal coming from far away. Sometimes from overseas. That emotion of joy to decode the Morse Code or even the message they sent on the air sure has helped me to master CW. The more pleasure I had with decoding them, the more willing I was to learn CW. It was a kind of synergy for me.


On the other hand, how will learning them with soft wares work on the new comers? It might be advantageous to them that they could repeat the task for many times. But how about the joy to decode what the others are sending? No one behind the software and it won't bring us any emotion which we often have when doing with the other human being behind the codes.    


Recent brain science tells when our experience is weighed with emotion by the limbic system, it could be kept easily as a long term memory. As for such as CW reception ability, it should become a procedural memory by cerebellum and brain stem nuclei. Then CW could be read without being conscious of the process like playing a musical instrument or riding a bicycle.  


How about trying SWL when trying to master CW?

5 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed reading this Shin! Ron N7RD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ron. How about your wife? Very good luck to her.

      Delete
  2. I have started trying to learn Japanese with Duolingo. It is a very fun game. Because I’m not speaking or using the language to communicate, I am not sure it would transfer to real life. However, what surprised me is how I could learn the letters (which I am still working on). When I learned Morse code, I was with my husband on a long car trip. He told me the codes and I tried to imagine the dots and dashes superimposed on the letters. I tried to find something about the shape that matched the letter and how often it is used. I found I am doing something similar with hiragana. The K-sounds look very similar, for example. It is interesting how our brains work to learn new things. You must have very good ears!

    Susan in Alabama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have missed your comment here. Sorry for that. You are learning Japanese, aren't you? Duolingo? It is unfamiliar to me. I hope you could communicate in Japanese someday. I am also going on learning English. Now I am reading "Shock Doctrine" by Naomi Klein, a famous best seller. With decreasing capability of short memory, it is becoming difficult for me to read it through. But i will try. Is your OM a ham operating CW? Let me know of his call sign. I might have worked him in the past if he is an avid CW operator. Now I would start with the book before going to bed!

      Delete
  3. Hi Shin. I have heard that book is very good. I hope you enjoy it.

    Yes. My husband is also a ham. His sign is N0LKQ. For a time in the late 1980s to 1990s he was on CW often. He was in Iowa as a young professor on a temporary contract. His father was in Ohio. His father’s call is NS8M. My husband’s dad’s name is Orfeo and he was a CW trainer and examiner. He was very fast at CW and his friends would joke that they could hear the Italian accent in his key.

    Have a good week!

    Susan KD4VXO

    ReplyDelete