6/27/2023

Harvested vegetables cooked Beethoven's last piano sonatas

Harvested vegetables have been cooked. This is the potatoe cooked with chicken and bean. A lot of potatoes have been harvested this spring. Potatoe dishes may be continued for a while. 


The last batch of garland chrysanthemum is cooked with spicy dressing. One of the first batch of tomatoes is added to it. This hot spice tastes great for blanched leaf vegetables like this garland chryssanthemum or spinach etc. It has motivated me to plant those vegetables now. 


It will take sometime to gather in next batch of tomatoes. Sweet potatoe plants have been planted. On the other hand, pulling weeds is still keeping me so busy. As told before, it is like whack-a-mole situation. They are growing like mad. Mowing lawn is another task for me. 

Consequently, I get deadly tired early in the evening. I always go to bed as early as 8PM in our local time. 

It is an enjoyment for me to listen to music before going to bed or in the bed. At present, the last 3 piano sonatas of Beethoven played by Horoszowsky is the piece which I most frequently listen to, possibly written in another post before. Horszowsky plays them with most tenderly comforting way. Not virtuosic manner but as if intimately talking to me. 

These sonatas are amazing as well. Needless to say that they are monumental work in the genre and are often called as New Testament in the piano works. Whenever listening to it, I always feel they were composed in the atmosphere of freedom. From what are they free? Every fetter or needless bond in the society. And also it seems Beethoven was free from the traditional sonata form. Slow movements with indication of espressivo or cantabile were prefered. No30 and 32 are ended in piano as if they were still going on, on the contrary to his ealier works which always ended with assertion of forte chords. I was happy to know Glenn Gould had told almost the same thing in this performance with short lecture of No30 sonata.  




Freedom from the fetters or bonds around oneself necessarily brings solitude in the society. Whenever listening to this piece, I picture Beethoven composing it before his instrument without being able to listen to it but just for confirming performability. He should be lonely there. The other composers' works in their late ages also give me the same impression. Beethoven's works make me feel as if playing in the heavenly sky. Yes, that should be the end of our journey of life.

Horszowsky plays it like this;





No comments:

Post a Comment