10/04/2020

A small concert was over

 Yesterday, I have played the 1st movement of the cello sonata in e minor by Brahms with my niece. It has been a project since several months ago. Due to the out break of COVID19 and to niece's work as a chief nurse at a core hospital in Tokyo, where she has been allotted to the newly organized ward for COVID19 patients, we have practiced it only twice prior to the concert. 

We still have had great time at a hall. The audience was very few since it was an informal event for the piano circle my niece belonged to. I have had a trouble with the instrument 2 days before the event, which I have never experienced in the past. With help by a luthier nearby, I could manage it.

No complaints about the tiring drive to Tokyo. Every year, I am feeling more and more tired to drive down there. The traffic is terrible and the narrow roads are too complicated for me to drive to the destination.

It is a good gift to me to have played it with my niece, whom I have known since her babyhood. As I have mentioned of the memory with this piece elsewhere, the sonata was the music which had driven me into the world of cello in my med school days. Remembering all of them when performing it, I was quite happy and almost moved by myself even if the performance was just in the level of an old amateur cellist. 

I would go on playing cello, possibly, with this niece and others. I thanked her and her mother, that is, my sister. Since I am in the latest chapter of my life, I should enjoy every moment with music.








6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellen. I should admit I am getting more inclined to music than ever. Nevertheless, I will catch you on 40m

      Delete
  2. Wow! Should have looked here first! Fantastic you're a cellist. I play mostly jazz and big band guitar over here in Long Beach, but also play bass. Played with Laguna orchestra for about 5 years. Mostly jazz and swing now. Enjoyed talking about antennas, and agree on CW... Was never contester... Seems like a waste of time! CU soon for our 20th QSO (or.. Not sure!) since way back. 73 & keep CW and music. Pete AC6KD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete, it was a big joy to have such a QSO with you. Your call sounded familiar to me at first glance but your name didn't come up in my mind! i knew we had had many QSOs in the past. I am glad to know you are another musician. Music is really relieving us as CW is. See you soon again.

      Shin

      Delete
  3. Susan KD4VXO Congratulations on your performance! This is a lovely piece—and not at all easy for the pianist either. So happy you got to play this with your niece! Enjoy your cello!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. Do you play piano? I have the 1st edition of this score, which a friend of mine, a violinist, has sent to me while she was studying music in Germany. It shows the fingering of the piano possibly by the owner of the score. It is dated in 1913! I was impressed to know such culture had been delivered from those people. I would challenge the other movements with niece in the future. The fugue in the 3rd movement is surely challenging to me! Visit this blog and leave your message whatever the topic might be. Thank you again.

      Shin

      Delete