3/21/2023

Piano Quartet Nr2 in g minor OP45 by Faure

 Only 3 or 4 years have passed since I started learning cello when I dared ask friends at the university orchestra to play this piece, Piano Quartet Nr2 in g minor OP45 by Faure. The pianist was a younger colleague in the cello section, who used to debate himself if he should major in music or in medicine before coming in the med school. He has chosed the latter and has been involved in the research for oncology at an institution. Possibly already retired. I asked the violin part to a guy who had been playing it since young days and would take the position of the concert master of the orchestra for a few years later. The violist was the part leader in viola at the orchestra, who was a student in chemistry at a women's university. The best members conceivable at the orchestra at that time except for me. It was a really pleasant ensemble at least for me. All of us were absorbed in Faure. 


We have played it at a coffee shop managed by the orchestra in the annual festival at the women's university. What excitement I have had when listening to the arpeggio by piano in the beginning of the 1st movement. It sounded as if luring us strings for the decisive theme in unison. Viola sung the elegant 2nd theme in a while. Both themes would be developed in complexity and finally the 1st theme would be recapitulated in fortessimo. Again in unison. I could recall how they have played each phrase and theme. The other movement we played within limited time was the 3rd. Slow movement regarded as the best part in this music. It started with something like ringing bell at a countryside church, possibly, knelling death of someone. Around the time Faure composed this piece, he has lost his father. It is just a guess. Peaceful as well as nostalgic world would be evolved to the audience. It won't stop calming down our mind of sorrow. I was again deeply moved while participating its performance. We had to cut the other movements due to limit of performance time and also lack of technique in the cello player! How are they doing right now? Most of them must have retired. If I should have a chance to see them in person again, I would ask them how they have lived their lives. I have dreamed of making ensemble, that is, one of the deepest communication for us, again sometime somewhere. But it seems not to happen. Listening to this chamber ensemble, I always recall of the company and the performance at the coffee shop late in fall.


This is one of my favorite Youtube videos by a piano quartet named Aurora Quartet. Each player, so young as we used to be, seems to enjoy playing it. They are soloistic in a sense but still keep the ensemble. The violinist, a japanese Polish, sounds quite charming. They all play each phrase thoroughly. The last note in each phrase sounds beautiful with ample vibrato. Unfortunately, this violinist has been changed to another chinese player later.



 It is the time of his mastership in composition achieved in his life when he composed this one. One of the best pieces in this genre in modern French music. I was lucky to have had a chance to play it with such great company. Though I wished I could have conquerred all the movements possibly with the same members, I should be satisfied to have such a good memory with them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment