9/10/2021

Chestnut fruits season


It is the season of chestnut fruits falling on the ground. This big chestnut tree bears a lot of the fruits. I noticed they had started falling a few days ago. I was not sure whether I should collect them or not. 


Looking at those fruits on the ground beneath the tree, I decided to collect them again. They would be decayed or would give rise to the young trees of chestnut and eventually would be relentlessly cut. Since they have had the rare chance to be in the world, I should use them for dishes or have them eaten by people. 


A bowl of the fruits. Maybe, bowlful fruits may follow for the coming few days. It is another issue how I should consume them. To send some to my brother who might enjoy the product of this place, where he was born. At least, I was starting to cook chestnut rice seasoned with soy sauce, salt and sweetened sake. A hard work is waiting for me. That is to peel the hard shell.


As written before, these fruit trees have been planted by my father, who used to experience the hardest days of starving in WWII and believed these trees would be of help to him and the family in any starvation or any crisis in the future. So far, they are not of use yet. But who knows? The food sufficiency rate of our country remains only 37% in caloric basis. It is quite a mystery why the politics won't take it serious for the self defense of the country, even despite of their enthusiasm for military arming. A candidate of the LPDJ president insists even of the military first strike against the other country's military bases. What a policy out of focus! Anyway, at this age, I could understand what my father used to think of planting them in the garden.


Our cat, Hikaru, quite friendly to me and anyone and always chasing me working in the garden, climbs on a tree and wonders if I am working hard from there.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment