5/22/2021

Pepper causing coughing

I am still cooking dinner almost every day. I am apt to cook pretty large amount once in 2 days. That means we should have the same menu for a couple of days. I hope my wife would put up with that since I have a lot of things to do other than cooking.

Yesterday, it was beef cooked with cabbage and egg plant seasoned with pepper. Maybe, I have put too much pepper. When my wife took it, she was almost coughing.

I have remembered about a fact that pepper could elicit coughing. Capsaicin abundantly contained in pepper could activate or trigger to synthesize substance P, a neurotransmitter, which causes coughing through non cholinergic non adrenergic pathway. It was a hot topic in '80s when I was doing with asthmatic patients at a med school hospital. It was not the main pathological pathway but sure turned out to aggravate coughing. That hot taste itself might elicit coughing, I don't know.

I don't know if this capsaicin mediated coughing occurs at once or after some time of reaction. But I felt a bit funny to see my wife coughing with the dish. Of course, I have given her a word of relief.   

This happening has reminded me that I used to be a pediatrician...not only a chef.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment